Shortie Says

Jena. 23. Green Eyes. Coffee. Music. And, obviously books.

Isle of Night (Veronica Wolff's Watchers Series #1)

Isle of Night - Veronica Wolff Unique, thrilling, and intense, Isle Of Night, takes the term "bad-ass beauties" to a whole new level.Annelise just wants to get away. From her crappy town, her abusive family, and her high school. And then tall, dark, and handsome with memorizing green eyes shows up and offers it to her. Ronan promises her a whole new life if she's strong enough. She's reluctant, but accepts. What she finds is nothing like what she expected. Annelise finds herself amongst hard core beauties and want-to-be vampires... not to mention real ones too. But, it comes at a price. Annelise must fight to become one of the few select "Watchers". And little does she know, she will be fighting for her life.Isle of Night is like a Hunger Games filled with all girls, and no "boyfriend" to push Annelise through. The whole story is thrilling. There's a chill, a death, and some blood around every corner. The fighting is intense and Annelise is a beauty with brains, but also incredibly strong. It shows you that having brains is just as good as having looks. You'd especially need witty comments if you had to room with Annelise's roommate Lilac. She's a tightly wound fireball (literally), with a cold, crazy heart. But, on the other side Annelise has two friends whom I loved. And they are Emma and Yasuo. They are both easy-going, yet strong and smart.Next, this book doesn't really have any "romance" per say. There is some definite chemistry and sexual tension, but no physical romance. But, that being said I didn't hesitate with the book at all because it doesn't need it. The story line itself is so strong that it does perfectly fine without it. I have to admit I loved Ronan though and I just wish something a little more happened with him and Annelise. Though, I understand why it didn't.Isle of Night was a suspenseful read that I enjoyed, and I am eagerly awaiting book two, Vampire's Kiss.